Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!

"If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the immensity of the sea." 
Antoine de Saint-Exupery


Confession: I was president of my high school Environmental Activists club. As you can probably tell, this title obviously made me hugely popular. Oh, and the fiddling helped too. Today I like to claim that I was a clairvoyant and that this now hip-and-happening culture of "going green" and protecting the environment came about because nerds like me were so stylin' as we recycled our high school's 2000-plus student body's paper and plastic waste every Tuesday afternoon. What a trendsetter I was.


So turn off all of the lights tonight. Buy secondhand and vintage from eBay or thrift shops. Save your recyclables from the trash can. And from a former/lifetime Environmental Activist, have a happy earth day.

(Photo from flickrflickr via Audrey Hepburn Complex)

P.S. I promise to be better about this whole blogging thing. I've been plagued by writer's block but helping me overcome that was definitely a motivating factor in starting this whole production. So I won't use an obscure holiday as a reason to post anymore. Apologies. I've missed you, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment