Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Breath of American Air



Hello from Dallas, my layover before Japan! My stay at home was brief but sweet after a truly unforgettable time in Costa Rica with some of my oldest friends. More later, but as I venture onto the next adventure, here is something eloquent and beautiful I found while relaxing along the beach. It's from "En(trance)" by Chris Arthur in The Best American Essays of 2009.

"Memory's version captures a truth about [place], not merely as it appears, but as it was felt, played in, dreamed of, as its lineaments intertwined and pulled on mine, delicately adjusting the sails of childhood to catch the breath of meaning that emanates from things - things that, to an adult's rigging, have only the unbreezy weight of the ordinary about them."

No comments:

Post a Comment